JASTIP-Net 2021: Call for application for new collaborative researches
[Important notice] Due to transtion to JASTIP 2nd Phase (till March 2025), the schedule of JASTIP-Net 2021 is changed to starting in April to March next year.
Call for research proposals of JASTIP-Net 2021
Together with the our headquarters and joint laboratories in Thailand, Indonesia and Malaysia, JASTIP-Net also plays an important role in strengthening the he Japan-ASEAN research collaboration networknetwork, as well as widening and deepening the coverage of the JASTIP activities across the ASEAN region. JASTIP-Net expands the outreach of JASTIP by seeking prospective and promising partners to launch new research initiatives that expand the existing JASTIP collaborations. JASTIP-Net also acts as an incubator for developing capacities, fostering partnership and growing new endeavors into mature research projects.
Research themes for 2021
Please choose one of the research themes listed below (which is also indicated in the application form). Applicant who is unsure whether the potential theme is in line with one of the following theme, or is cross-cutting (i.e. falls under two or more themes) is encouraged to submit the “first-step” application as early as possible to provide JASTIP leaders with a chance to contact applicants for clarifications and preliminary discussion.
(1) WP1 Partnership, Networking and Integrated Approach
- Initiating new interdisciplinary research collaboration that will contribute to JASTIP goals
and compiling a research proposal for other competitive fund.
- Enhancing and Expanding the community for STI coordinators to promote multi-sectoral
and multi-disciplinary cooperation in line with JASTIP goals.
- Facilitating dialogues between scientists/researchers and policy makers to share and
embed scientific findings into the SDGs strategy formation at the national and regional
(2) WP2: Energy and Environment Joint Laboratory
- Implementation Study of Renewable Energy in South East Asia
(3) WP3: Bioresources and Biodiversity Joint Laboratory
- Studies on Bioresources and biodiversity in the ASEAN region, preferably the
collaborative research of ASEAN and Japan and among ASEAN countries.
(4) WP4: Disaster Prevention and Risk Reduction Joint Laboratory
- How to cope with trans-boundary disasters in the ASEAN region such as tsunami, flood,
drought and haze.
- Follow up and strengthen existing partnership and collaboration conducted in the 1st
- Regional workshops on the specific issues or regional dialogues and forums to
exchange views, learn best practice and share the solutions.
- Exchange of researchers particularly young or early career to promote partnership
among ASEAN institutions.
Proposals that consider following aspects and approaches would be given priorities;
- Emphasis on potential linkages for achieving the SDGs at the local/national level.
- Practical research, pilot implementation and societal impacts.
- Proposal jointly developed by researchers from two or more countries.
- Proposal jointly developed with JASTIP Joint Laboratories.
- Application by young and female researchers.
Obligations for successful applicants
- Some of the selected applicant(s) may be registered as JASTIP research partner(s)/collaborator(s) in the official JASTIP report to JST.
- In carrying out your research supported by JASTIP (hereinafter referred as to “JASTIP collaborative research”), you are required to follow a set of regulations and guidelines relating to Research Compliance and Ethics of Kyoto University, most notably with regard to Security Trade Control. Please see further details at https://www.kyoto-u.ac.jp/en/research/research-compliance-ethics. Kindly also refer to Section 7 Budgetary management and limitations in the guideline.
- Research partners can be requested to publicize the results of their research at an appropriate occasion, for example, an international symposium to be organized by JASTIP.
- When presenting the results of the research (including at public symposiums, academic
conferences, and on electronic media), an acknowledgement of JASTIP support is to be noted. (ex. This research is conducted as an integral part of a JASTIP project with necessary supports.)
- [Important] After completion of activity, the selected applicant(s) shall submit JASTIPNet
2021 Final report to the JASTIP Secretariat and supervisors from JASTIP upon termination of activity by 15 May 2022 (by 6 weeks after the completion). The submitted report will be publicized on the JASTIP website. Please note researches that generate promising outputs may be given a priority in the next-year round of JASTIP-Net for the sake of continuity.
How to Apply
- Please fill in the necessary items in the application form provided (Application: JASTIP-Net 2021 application form Part A&B.docx, JASTIP-Net 2021 application form Part C.xslx) and submit them as an email attachment to
- The email subject line should read “JASTIP-Net 2021 application”
- Submit the file in Microsoft Word format
- The proposed budget for an application should NOT exceed the maximum amount of JPY half million (approx. USD 5,000)
- Notification of screening results: Late March 2021